NBA starlet Hachimura gets racist abuse ‘almost every day’

Hachimura shoots against Los Angeles Lakers forward Markieff Morris during an NBA game last month. (AP pic)

TOKYO: Japanese NBA rising star Rui Hachimura said he receives racist messages “almost every day”, as uproar grows over the abuse directed at top athletes online.

His revelation comes after England’s Premier League led a social media boycott to protest against racist taunts suffered by footballers including Marcus Rashford and Reece James.

Hachimura, 23, a forward for the NBA team Washington Wizards, was commenting after his brother – a basketball player at a Japanese university – tweeted a screenshot of an offensive message he had received.

“There are people who say there is no racism in Japan,” wrote Aren Hachimura, 21, alongside an image of the direct message in Japanese that used a racist insult and told him to “die”.

“But I want people to pay attention to the issue of racism, even though I don’t think exposing (the message and its sender) here will solve the problem,” the younger Hachimura said on Tuesday.

Rui Hachimura, who has nearly 200,000 Twitter followers and was selected for the NBA Rising Stars roster in March, replied: “I receive this kind of thing almost every day.”

The Hachimuras, whose father is Beninese and mother is Japanese, are just the latest sports stars to speak out.

Last month, US Olympic snowboarding champion Chloe Kim said she receives racist abuse on social media on a daily basis amid a surge of anti-Asian violence in the US.

And former Arsenal and France star Thierry Henry left all of his social media platforms in March after saying enough had not been done to tackle racist abuse.

Premier League clubs and players stayed off social media over the weekend, but Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling was racially abused on Instagram less than 48 hours after the boycott ended.

Several biracial Japanese athletes, including Hachimura and tennis superstar Naomi Osaka, have risen to prominence in Japan in recent years.

Osaka, who has been an outspoken advocate for racial justice, wore masks bearing the names of black victims of police brutality in the US on her way to victory in the 2020 US Open.

But she has also had to deal with racial insensitivity in Japan, where she is a leading face of this summer’s Tokyo Olympics.

An ad campaign by one of her sponsors once depicted her as light-skinned in a cartoon, while a TV comedy duo suggested she “needs some bleach” because she is “too sunburned”.

A Nike advert highlighting racism and bullying in Japan caused a stir on social media late last year, with some users even calling for a boycott of the company.

Sibuk bincang gaji minimum, gaji menteri RM30,000-RM60,000 jangan lupa, sindir Zahid

Presiden Umno, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, berkata pihaknya menyokong sekiranya benar kerajaan dapat meningkatkan gaji minimum semaksimum yang boleh memandangkan rakyat sedia terbeban dengan kos sara hidup ketika ini.

PETALING JAYA: Dalam kesibukan perbincangan mengenai isu perintah gaji minimum dipertingkatkan, kita lupa mengenai gaji yang diterima barisan menteri dalam kerajaan hari ini, kata Presiden Umno, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

Beliau berkata, rekod memperlihatkan gaji timbalan menteri dan menteri adalah sekitar RM30,000 hingga RM60,000 sebulan.

“Sewaktu Ordinan Darurat dilaksanakan adakalanya kita tidak dapat melihat menteri dan timbalan menteri berkenaan. Al maklumlah Parlimen tidak bersidang. Mereka semua sibuk turun padang berjumpa rakyat dan bukan bercuti,” katanya di Facebook.

Zahid berkata demikian sebagai mengulas amanat Perdana Menteri, Muhyiddin Yassin, ketika Hari Pekerja 1 Mei lalu yang menyatakan kerajaan sedang melaksanakan kajian semula perintah gaji minimum 2020, bagi memastikan ia kekal relevan dengan keadaan sosio ekonomi semasa.

Muhyiddin juga berkata, kerajaan dalam proses menambah baik dan meminda undang-undang perburuhan contohnya Akta Kerja 1955 dengan meluaskan skop pemakaian kepada semua pekerja dalam sektor swasta tanpa mengira had gaji, memanjangkan cuti bersalin kepada 90 hari dan pemberian cuti “paternity” selama tiga hari.

Terdahulu, pewartaan terhadap perintah gaji minimum baharu yang dinaikkan kepada RM1,200 sebulan di bandar utama bawah pentadbiran 57 majlis bandar raya dan majlis perbandaran, sudah berkuat kuasa pada 1 Feb tahun lalu.

Mengikut warta kerajaan itu, kadar gaji minimum kekal pada RM1,100 sebulan di kawasan selain wilayah bandar utama.

Pelaksanaan gaji minimum RM1,200 sebulan atau RM5.77 sejam di wilayah bandar utama dan RM1,100 sebulan atau RM5.29 sejam selain wilayah bandar utama adalah berdasarkan tempat kerja yang ditakrifkan mengikut Seksyen 2 Akta Kerja 1955 (Akta 265), Ordinan Buruh Sabah (Bab 67) dan Ordinan Buruh Sarawak (Bab 76) iaitu di mana-mana tempat kerja dijalankan untuk majikan oleh pekerja.

Dalam pada itu, Zahid berkata, pihaknya menyokong sekiranya benar kerajaan dapat meningkatkan gaji minimum semaksimum yang boleh memandangkan rakyat sedia terbeban dengan kos sara hidup ketika ini.

“Namun, perlu diingat peningkatan gaji minimum bakal mengundang lebih ramai pekerja dari luar yang mahu mendapatkan tawaran gaji lumayan, dan andai itu dilaksanakan saya berharap kerajaan mengutamakan rakyat tempatan.

“Menetapkan gaji minimum pada kadar semaksimum mungkin bukan mudah kerana terdapat banyak halangan daripada pihak swasta, majikan swasta terutama pengilang enggan memberikan gaji minimum kerana mereka boleh mendapatkan pekerja asing dengan mudah dan murah,” kata Zahid.

Indonesia’s economy shrinks for 4th straight quarter

INDONESIA’S economy shrank for the fourth consecutive quarter in January-March, data showed today, as the country’s leaders struggle to overcome a recession wrought by the coronavirus pandemic.

The 0.74% on-year contraction was a big improvement on the 2.19% in the previous three months but slightly worse than expected, with the tourism sector among the worst-affected industries.

All schools in Selangor ordered to close from tomorrow until after Raya holidays

Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Meru students who are taking the SPM examination return to school amid the movement control order January 20, 2021. — Picture by Miera Zulyana
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Meru students who are taking the SPM examination return to school amid the movement control order January 20, 2021. — Picture by Miera Zulyana

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.


KUALA LUMPUR, May 5 — The Selangor Education Department is ordering all schools in Selangor to close starting tomorrow until after the Hari Raya holidays are over.

It comes a day earlier than the scheduled festive season break which was meant to start from May 7 until 15. 

The order comes amid the movement control order (MCO) imposed in six districts in Selangor following a spike in cases the past two weeks.

“The Education Ministry and the National Security Council have recommended that we shut schools in Selangor from May 6 to 12 in order to curb the spread of Covid-19. Seeing as there are only two days left before the Hari Raya Aidilfitri break, we decided to close all schools in Selangor on May 6 and 7.

“The school closures will continue until after the Aidilfitri break and will resume in the same way the ministry mentioned on April 26,” the department’s head Haji Izmi Ismail said in a statement today.

Apart from that, Izmi said boarding school students can return home as per their schools’ schedule and the parents and guardians need to adhere to the schedule.

The festive season is scheduled to start for Group A schools (Kelantan, Johor, Terengganu) from May 7 until 15 while for Group B schools (Selangor, Perak, Perlis, Negri Sembilan, Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, Sabah, Sarawak, Pahang) from May 8 until 16.

Following the end of the holidays, the education ministry decided that all lessons will be done virtually the following two weeks.

This is to mitigate any chances of the virus spreading.

Hari Raya Aidilfitri will be celebrated on May 13 and 14.

Kedah MB warns Penang Water Supply Corporation to stay out of state’s affairs

Kedah Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor speaks during a press conference in Alor Setar November 15, 2020. — Bernama pic
Kedah Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor speaks during a press conference in Alor Setar November 15, 2020. — Bernama pic

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on news you need to know.


ALOR SETAR, May 5 — The Kedah government has issued a final warning to Perbadanan Bekalan Air Pulau Pinang (PBAPP) not to interfere in the state’s internal affairs, especially on the issue of water catchment areas in the Ulu Muda Forest Reserve.

Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor said that Kedah is a sovereign state, with territories administered by the Sultan and the state government, and adheres to the state constitution.

“I want to advise Perbadanan Bekalan Air Pulau Pinang (PBAPP), not to interfere in Kedah’s matters, Ulu Muda is Kedah land,” he told reporters after chairing the exco meeting today.

He was commenting on PBAPP’s move to propose the establishment of the Ulu Muda Basin Authority (LLUM) to protect water catchments at the Muda, Pedu and Ahning dams, which, among other things, demanded that all logging activities in Ulu Muda be banned.

PBAPP chief executive officer, Datuk Jaseni Maidinsa, proposed LLUM as a reaction to the move by the Ministry of Environment and Water (Kasa) to set up the Sungai Muda Basin Authority (LLSM), as a way to resolve the dispute between Kedah and Penang over Sungai Muda water supply issues.

Muhammad Sanusi said that Kasa’s proposal to set up LLSM was to regulate Sungai Muda in line with the provisions of the federal constitution, referring to the area between Kampung Sungai Muda in Pantai Perai to the estuary only.

“But LLUM wants it to reach Ulu Muda, in the Kedah area. PBAPP often touches on Ulu Muda and this shows that Penang is completely dependent on raw water sources from Kedah, but at the same time refuses to pay (raw water charges) when we make a claim.

“If we want to take into account the issue of water originating from Kedah for the benefit of Penang, please make a payment as Syarikat Air Darul Aman (Sada) makes a payment to the Kedah State Water Resources Board (LSANK),” he said.

Meanwhile, Muhammad Sanusi said that Kasa had approved the construction of two of the 14 riverside reservoirs (TAPS) projects to retain excess water in Sungai Muda, as announced by the Kedah government recently.

The project, which received an allocation from Kasa, aims to increase the water supply in Kedah and stabilise the water level in the river during the dry season. — Bernama

Malaysia aspiring to be carbon-neutral, says Mustapa

MALAYSIA aspires to be a carbon-neutral nation in the future as it views climate change and sustainability as an issue of high significance, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Economy) Mustapa Mohamed said today.

Mustapa said although Malaysia contributed less than 1% of global greenhouse gas emissions, the administration is taking this issue seriously.

India announces US$6.7 bil to boost pandemic battle

FILE – In this April 26, 2021, file photo, people queue up for COVID-19 vaccine in Mumbai, India. Developing Asian economies will grow at a solid 7.3% pace this year after contracting slightly in 2020 due to the pandemic, the Asian Development Bank says in its latest regional outlook. (AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool, File)

MUMBAI: India released US$6.7 billion in cheap financing for vaccine makers, hospitals and other health firms today, to counter the devastating coronavirus surge gripping the country.

Reserve Bank of India governor Shaktikanta Das also vowed to deploy “unconventional” measures if the crisis worsens.

He spoke as India announced a record 3,780 deaths in 24 hours as well as 382,000 new cases.

This week it became the second country after the US to pass 20 million cases and hospitals across the country of 1.3 billion people have complained of chronic shortages of beds, oxygen, vaccines and key drugs.

“The devastating speed with which the virus affects different regions of the country has to be matched by swift and wide-ranging actions,” Das said.

The new measures – making it easier for banks to give cheap loans to hospitals, oxygen manufacturers and even patients – aim to improve access to emergency healthcare, he said.

The central bank will also give some general business borrowers more time to repay loans to help underpin the economy, Das said.

“The immediate objective is to preserve human life and restore livelihoods through all means possible,” he added.

India’s underfunded health care system has struggled to cope with the latest Covid-19 onslaught, with patients dying in hospital parking lots due to a lack of beds and oxygen.

Experts have warned that case numbers will keep rising until the end of May and could reach 500,000 new infections a day.

While New Delhi and other major cities have imposed curfews and other restrictions, the government has resisted opposition calls for a nationwide lockdown.

Even the supreme court has called on the government to consider tougher measures.

The Indian Premier League – the world’s richest cricket tournament – shut down this week because of the spread of the virus among players.

Many foreign stars are now struggling to get flights out.

Two more players, Delhi Capitals spinner Amit Mishra and Sunrisers Hyderabad’s Wriddhiman Saha, were recently infected.

The country has tried to claw back lost ground after a stringent, months-long lockdown caused the labour market to collapse and the economy to contract by nearly a quarter between April and June last year.

Asia’s third-largest economy was in the throes of a prolonged slowdown even before the pandemic, and the hit to global activity from the virus and one of the world’s strictest lockdowns combined to deal the country a severe blow.

Fearing a repeat of last year’s economic devastation, authorities have so far imposed limited restrictions, trying to strike a balance between keeping the economy going and targeting outbreaks in the hardest-hit regions.

New Delhi is hoping the economy will get a further boost from a massive vaccination drive that kicked off in January, with 160 million shots administered so far.

Bekalan vaksin mungkin tak cukup untuk Fasa 3 mula seperti dirancang, kata Khairy

Khairy Jamaluddin.

PETALING JAYA: Bekalan vaksin mungkin tidak cukup untuk memulakan Fasa 3 program vaksinasi Covid-19 pada Mei seperti dirancang.

Menteri penyelaras Khairy Jamaluddin berkata ia sebahagian besarnya bergantung pada bekalan vaksin.

“Fasa 2 berjalan dengan baik. Fasa itu sedang berjalan. Fasa 3 sepatutnya bermula pada Mei tapi saya tak tahu adakah bekalan kita mencukupi. Kita akan buat pengumuman berhubung perkara ini nanti,” katanya.

Khairy berkata program vaksinasi sukarela dengan vaksin AstraZeneca adalah istimewa dan dikategorikan bawah Fasa 4 kawalan penyakit di Kuala Lumpur dan Selangor, memandangkan penularan yang tinggi di situ.

Sementara itu, Khairy berkata setakat ini kesan sampingan yang dilaporkan daripada individu yang terlibat dalam ujian terkawal vaksin AstraZeneca hanyalah demam.

BERITA LANJUT MENYUSUL

Velestro Energy says investigating Naga 7 rig incident near Bintulu, assessing options

Malay Mail Social Logo

KUALA LUMPUR, May 4 ― Velesto Energy Bhd is investigating the incident involving its drilling rig, Velesto Naga 7, which submerged today in offshore Sarawak, and is evaluating options.

“The rig is covered by insurance and recovery efforts are ongoing and being monitored,” it said in a filing with Bursa Malaysia.

The offshore drilling services provider said the incident occurred at the worksite due to rapid penetration into the formation on Monday while operating for a client.

The rig tilted and subsequently submerged at the location today.

Velesto said drilling activities had not started and no well had been drilled.

“All personnel on-board are safe on the rescue vessels, and the majority have been transferred to Miri, Sarawak. The remaining personnel are in the process of being transferred,” it added. ― Bernama

Merdeka Center