20 students in Pitas get methanol poisoning

TWENTY students of a secondary boarding school in Pitas were treated for suspected methanol poisoning at Pitas Hospital after they consumed carbonated drinks laced with spirit on Tuesday.

Sabah deputy health director Dr Asits Sanna said of the 20 students, aged 13 to 17, eight of them suffered stomachaches, vomiting, blurred vision and headaches, and of the eight, two were admitted to intensive care units, one each at Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Queen Elizabeth 2 Hospital yesterday.