8 injured as lift at KL flats plunges 5 floors

Firemen going to the rescue of the injured at the Kampung Kerinchi People’s Housing Project. (Facebook pic)

KUALA LUMPUR: Eight people, including a child, sustained injuries after the lift they were in at the Kampung Kerinchi People’s Housing Project (PPR) here experienced a failure and plunged down from the fifth floor of the building.

There were nine people in the lift in the 2.30pm incident.

Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department senior operations chief Muhammad Ridwan Kamarulzaman said 20 rescuers and a fire engine were sent to the scene after receiving a distress call at 2.40pm.

“Eight of the victims sustained multiple injuries, including broken legs and injuries on the wrist and hands.

“All injured victims were taken to the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre for treatment,” he said when met at the scene.

He said the operation to rescue the injured, six men, a woman and a 10-year-old boy, took about 15 minutes.

The lift at the Kampung Kerinchi PPR flats has been closed for investigations. (Bernama pic)

Meanwhile, Ahmad Shahid Imran, 24, who was not injured, said he managed to cling to the button panel as the lift was falling.

According to him, the lift was heading to the fifth floor when it suddenly nosedived with the doors in the open position.

“I could not even think and instinctively grabbed the button panel. Everyone was screaming.

“One of the passengers was a disabled person. A few broke their legs.

“It is an experience I won’t forget,” he told reporters at the scene.

Kuala Lumpur Mayor Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan rushed over on being informed.

He told reporters that he wanted all 11 contractors appointed by City Hall for lift maintenance to “get cracking” and ensure the 500 lifts under their care are in good condition.

He said based on records, periodical maintenance of the lifts was being carried out.

He is awaiting reports on this incident from the contractor responsible and the Fire and Rescue Department.

Five of the injured are reported to be still receiving treatment in hospital while the others were allowed to go home.