Patriot blames ‘interfering’ ministers for Lahad Datu bungle

THE National Association of Patriots has waded into the 2013 Lahad Datu intrusion controversy by claiming politicians made it difficult for the soldiers fighting the incursion.

Slamming the then Barisan Nasional leaders for behaving like generals, Patriot president Mohamed Arshad Raji said today these politicians must also explain claims that these intruders were actually upset over not being given the land they were originally promised.

MMEA Miri chief says keeping an eye on China vessel in S. China Sea


Md Fauzi (centre, seated) in a photo call with MMEA Miri personnel at the end of the competition held at Lambir shooting range. — Borneo Post pic
Md Fauzi (centre, seated) in a photo call with MMEA Miri personnel at the end of the competition held at Lambir shooting range. — Borneo Post pic

MIRI, Sept 24 — The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) has an asset placed in the vicinity of Beting Patinggi Ali, also known as Luconia Shoals, to check the presence of a China Coast Guard (CCG) vessel there, said MMEA Miri chief Captain Md Fauzi Othman.

“We have one asset currently in the area 24/7 to monitor and safeguard the sovereignty of the country.

“It is undeniable that there is a China asset in the area all the time,” he told reporters after earlier officiating at a shooting competition organised by the agency here yesterday.

He said even though the Malaysian and Chinese vessels are just some 20 nautical miles from each other, there has never been any confrontation between the two sides.

“The CCG has had a vessel in the area since 2013.

“I think they are just putting their asset there, and we too are doing the same. Other countries are not involved in this,” he added.

Beting Patinggi Ali, located just 84 nautical miles from the coast here, is one of the largest and least-known reef complexes in the South China Sea.

It lies inside Malaysia’s exclusive economic zone. — Borneo Post

Sarawak Bersatu chief says committed to working with state govt


The logo of Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia is seen on caps in this file picture taken December 29, 2018. — Picture by Miera Zulyana
The logo of Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia is seen on caps in this file picture taken December 29, 2018. — Picture by Miera Zulyana

BINTULU, Sept 24 — The state Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) is committed to working closely with the Sarawak government in bringing more development to the people, said its chief Jaziri Alkaf Abdillah Suffian.

He said as part of the same Perikatan Nasional pact with the ruling Gabungan Parti Sarawak coalition, Bersatu only wants the best for all Sarawakians especially those living in rural areas.

“With the basic facilities which had been provided in most of the rural areas, the people would enjoy the overflow of socio-economic activities.

“Bersatu Sarawak will continue to give high commitment and concern to the needs and voices of the rural community under the leadership of Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin cum president of Bersatu,” he said.

Jaziri said this when officiating at the laying of the foundation of Rumah Sanggong Japar at its new site in Sungai Teba, Sebauh here on Tuesday, which was attended by some 200 people.

He added the party’s next target is to provide rural folk in Sarawak with digital connectivity which can help provide the people with opportunities in education as well as the economy.

“It is very important to produce a high-potential generation from rural areas that will be as competitive as those from other states and even foreign countries,” he said.

Meanwhile, Bersatu Sarawak information chief Duke Janteng, who was also present, spoke on the purpose of establishing the Bintulu Community Welfare Club which he chairs.

He said the setting-up of the club is to ensure the welfare and basic needs of the local community would always be given priority.

“The club will continue to be a bridge and a channel to highlight the voice of the people to the various ministries and government agencies so that their rights and needs will be protected and guaranteed,” he said. — Borneo Post

Lawyer confirms Zahid is Covid-19 negative in second test


Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi arrives at the Kuala Lumpur High Court in Kuala Lumpur September 21, 2020. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri
Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi arrives at the Kuala Lumpur High Court in Kuala Lumpur September 21, 2020. — Picture by Ahmad Zamzahuri

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 23 — Barisan Nasional (BN) chairman Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi’s second Covid-19 test has returned negative, his lawyer confirmed today.

“Negative,” Zahid’s lead defence lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik told Malay Mail this morning when contacted.

Zahid, who is also Bagan Datuk MP, is on trial for 47 counts of corruption when he was home minister from 2013 to 2018.

His trial was paused two days ago after another one of his lawyers, Hamidi Mohd Noh sought the High Court’s permission to vacate hearing pending the results of a Covid-19 swab test, the Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) — which is considered to produce more accurate results.

The first test was understood to be a Rapid Test Antigen Kit (RTK) test, which the Health Ministry previously said may produce false negative results for an average of one in 10 people.

Hamidi told High Court judge Collin Lawrence Sequerah on Monday that Zahid’s second test results were expected to be available by Tuesday evening. He did not disclose in court the reason why Zahid went for the two Covid-19 tests.

A check of Zahid’s official Facebook page indicated that he was in Sabah last week and throughout the weekend in conjunction with the Sabah election campaign.

Justice Sequerah agreed to the defence lawyer’s request, adding that the trial would resume next Monday as previously scheduled if the second test returned negative as well.

Zahid was said to have gone for testing at the private KPJ Tawakkal Hospital here on Monday when the court broke for lunch.

Zahid’s previously scheduled trial dates for September were September 21-22, 28-30, with other trial dates scheduled from October until next March.

The campaign period for the Sabah state election is for two weeks from September 12 to September 25, with polling this Saturday.

Last month, Zahid succeeded in having his pre-scheduled trial dates of September 23 to September 25 vacated, as he intended to go to Sabah to assist in BN’s election campaign on those days and as his lead defence lawyer Hisyam would be handling other court cases in Putrajaya on September 23 and September 24.

In this trial, Zahid ― who is also a former deputy prime minister and former home minister ― is facing 47 charges, namely 12 counts of criminal breach of trust in relation to charitable foundation Yayasan Akalbudi’s funds, 27 counts of money-laundering, and eight counts of bribery charges.

Also on Monday, Umno supreme council member Datuk Mohd Razlan Muhammad Rafii was reported as having tested positive for Covid-19 while campaigning in Sipitang, Sabah via a rapid test kit, and was also reported as waiting for the results of a RT-PCR test with hopes of getting a false positive result.

FBI warns of disinformation on US election day

THE FBI and the main US cybersecurity agency warned yesterday that provocateurs could take advantage of a slow vote count in the November 3 election to spread disinformation aimed at discrediting the results.

“Foreign actors and cybercriminals could create new websites, change existing websites, and create or share corresponding social media content to spread false information,” around the election, the FBI and Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency said in a joint statement. 

Part of Petronas’ SST payment to go to international schools within state, clarifies Sarawak CM


Abang Johari said that with the SST payment, the government can now step up its development plans for the state. — Picture courtesy of Sarawak Public Communications Unit (Ukas)
Abang Johari said that with the SST payment, the government can now step up its development plans for the state. — Picture courtesy of Sarawak Public Communications Unit (Ukas)

KUCHING, Sept 23 — Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg has clarified that the RM2.95 billion in state sales tax collected from Petroliam Nasional Berhad will not only be used for the training of Sarawakian students in the state’s international schools.

“Part of this money. You’ve got RM3 billion meant for development, of course education is part of it,” he told reporters after the earth breaking ceremony for the Sarawak State Farmers’ Organisation (PPNS) headquarters here yesterday.

The chief minister was commenting on an article in The Borneo Post on Sunday under the heading, “Petronas sales tax for training,” in which he was reported as saying that the state government will use the Petronas SST to finance the training of the students.

The national oil corporation and its subsidiaries had paid up the SST for 2019 last week after withdrawing its legal dispute with the state government over its powers to enforce the tax last January.

Abang Johari had also said at the function yesterday that with SST paid, the government could now step up its development plans for the state.

He said, among others, that the rural areas would see greater growth. — Borneo Post

Merdeka Center